December 2010 (This is the third e-Bee for 2010)
Recycle Your Old Holiday Lights and Earn Money for Bowmanville’s new GreenSpace!
You can recycle your old string lights at North Community Bank (5214 N. Western Avenue) between December 13 and January 18. Each time we fill the recycling box it will result in a $45 donation to BCO GreenSpace.
The City of Chicago and Elgin Recycling Inc. are providing holiday string light recycling at select locations across Chicago. North Community Bank has agreed to be our collection site. The recycling box is in the entryway to the bank. The bank hours are 9AM to 5PM Monday through Friday and 9AM to 1PM on Saturday.
Better odds than the lottery…. buy some yourself and give to your friends and family!
Raffle tickets cost $10 each or 3 for $25. The winner of the scooter will be drawn at the March 24th BCO Open Meeting. Details on the raffle and prize at: https://bcochicago.org/bco_greenspace_chicago
Proceeds benefit Bowmanville’s new GreenSpace.
Contact Craig Hanenburg to get your tickets at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local Giving opportunities – help someone in need this season!
It’s never too late to do something to help those in need. Many drives are winding down, but you can still help others with donations dropped off very close to home.
- Scooterworks (5410 N. Damen) is accepting donations of dry food goods and blankets for the Lakeview Food Pantry.
- Care for Real (6044 N. Broadway) is Edgewater’s local food pantry. The individuals they support include residents of Bowmanville. You can always give to them directly – goods or $$. Check out http://www.careforreal.org for details on how to help your neighbors.
- Rogers Park Montessori (1800 W. Balmoral) is collecting books for the Gary Comer Youth Center. Drop off items at the front desk of the school when they re-open on Jan 3rd. Wish List Items can be found at: http://my.barnesandnoble.com/RPMS-RPMSs-ROOTS-Philanthropy-Committee-Wish-List-for-Gary-Comer-Youth-Center/wl/16859609/
BCO GreenSpace Holiday Appeal
Did you get your Green Envelope from the BCO? A holiday appeal was sent out to residents asking for support of the BCO GreenSpace Fundraising Campaign. Contributions to this campaign are tax deductible. Get yours in before the tax year ends! We are looking forward to enjoying our new GreenSpace on Bowmanville Avenue and need your contribution to make it a reality.
Checks can be made out to BCO GreenSpace Chicago and mailed or dropped off to:BCO GreenSpace Chicago 5361 N Bowmanville Ave Chicago IL 60625
Take a look at the conceptual site design for the space – it has been developed by your neighbors:https://bcochicago.org/bco_greenspace_chicago/bco-greenspace-chicago-news
Spring seems a long way off. But it’s not! Start planning for your veggie plot.
For more information keep your eye on the BCO website or contact email@example.com.
Does your block have a block captain keeping you updated? The best way to stay safe is to stay informed. We will keep the information flowing through the block captains.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of a person on your block who can be your liaison. Check out the BCO Facebook page for ongoing discussions on crime, graffiti and safety.
Keep up the fight against graffiti in Bowmanville
On November 21, nineteen neighbors came out to walk the neighborhood in a ‘Graffiti Sweep’. We identified and reported 213 instances of graffiti to the city for cleanup. Much of the cleanup happened the following week. Help us stay on top of this continuing problem.
You can easily report graffiti yourself by calling 311 or by submitting a report online at http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/streets/provdrs/graffiti_blasters/svcs/mayor_daley_s_graffitiblasters.html
Don’t miss the next CAPS Meeting for our area (Beat 2012):Wednesday, February 9, at 7pm St. Gregory Bingo Hall, 1609 W. Gregory
Be sure that someone from your block is there to keep you informed and voice your concerns.
Call for Content! The Winter Issue of the Bowmanville Bee is in the works.
Do you have news to share or want to advertise? Tell us about something interesting that’s happening with our neighbors. We welcome baby news, photos and other ‘shout outs’! Contact email@example.com with submissions.
It’s your community. We need your input. Content deadline is January 15th.
Seeking volunteer roles for the BCO:
- EBee and EBlast editor: we are looking for a volunteer interested to act as editor of our online eBee and eBlast news emails. These mails are put together in between the quarterly printed “Bowmanville Bee” newsletters and are oriented around timely information that the Bowmanville community needs to know. The editor would be responsible to set the schedule, identify and solicit relevant contributions, edit them into a cohesive email bulletin, and manage the mailing to the BCO receiver list via our website tools. This is a fun way to do a little writing and stay plugged in to what is going on in the neighborhood. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Advertising Coordinator for the Quarterly newsletter: we are seeking someone who can coordinate sale of advertising space in our Bowmanville Bee newsletter. This person would be the primary point of contact to any individuals or businesses advertising in the newsletter. This volunteer would coordinate ad copy submissions and final ad lineup with the Managing editor of the Bee. This role is a fun and easy way for someone to build valuable contacts with owners of local businesses and stay current on local happenings. Please contact email@example.com if you are able to help out.
- Bee Delivery volunteers: we need a few more people to take routes to deliver newsletters. Your route will be one or two blocks, four times a year. It’s a nice way to get out in the neighborhood and get some fresh air while helping out the BCO. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
Wishing you a peaceful New Year!
Thank you for your ongoing support of the BCO and our community. Together we have made Bowmanville a great place to be in 2010. We have accomplished so much over this past year – tangible things we can all enjoy and be proud of. Highlights include our newly acquired GreeenSpace, the inspiring new Berwyn tunnel mural, and our engaging gardens and fantastic annual events that just keep getting better. We look forward to more great things to come around ‘Beautiful Bowmanville’ in 2011.