Bowmanville is a residential neighborhood located in the northern section of Chicago’s Lincoln Square community area. The community is home to over 1500 residential households, and a small but thriving industrial corridor. The neighborhood boundaries are Ravenswood Avenue, Foster Avenue, Western Avenue and Rosehill Cemetery. Welcome to the Bowmanville Community Organization Web site. Browse the various menu links above for information about our community, and ways to get involved and engaged with your neighbors.
The Bowmanville Community Organization (BCO) is the community’s officially recognized Chicago Neighborhood Organization. It is run by a volunteer group committed to maintaining and improving the quality of life for Bowmanville residents. Since its inception in 1987 the BCO has contributed to a solid foundation of community service and neighborliness. The BCO’s purpose is to facilitate communication within the community and with local officials and other organizations to ensure that the interests of the members of the community are being addressed. Check our latest community newsletter, The BEE or the BCO Facebook page for a peak into the latest happenings in our community.
By joining the BCO, your $20 annual membership will support programming and outreach for your community. Support your community!
Bowmanville is also home to a variety of quality restaurants, taverns, retail shops, small businesses and industry. Our local public schools are Chappell Elementary and Amundsen High School. Rogers Park Montessori School (RPMS) is a private elementary school (pre-K through 8th) located within Bowmanville’s boundaries.
What’s next in 2016 (view full BCO calendar here):
- A BCO Arts Thank You campaign is underway in Fall 2016 to say a great big thank you to Amundsen High School’s Art Department, who came out with 2 art teachers and TWENTY students to assist with a restoration of the Berwyn mural after several years of graffiti damage. See page 4 of the Summer 2016 Bee Newsletter for more info on the restoration that took place. Please donate to the matching gifts campaign to support Amundsent’s IB art programming.
- BCO Fall Open Meeting and Election: Thursday Oct 20, 7:30pm
- Join us at Urban Pooch, 5400 N. Damen Avenue – all friends and residents of Bowmanville welcome
- 2017 Slate of candidates for election to the BCO Board of Directors is now available – click for details
- Proposed Bylaws changes will be voted on at the election meeting – click for details
- Special guests:
- Megan Bunimovich from Greater Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce This group designs programs to help connect, support and empower businesses within the Greater Ravenswood community.. Bowmanville is within their community area.
- Lorelei MacBeth/Denise Barba from Amundsen High School Art Department. These 2 teachers led the 20 students who did the volunteer restoration of our Berwyn Mural in June.
- Seeking raffle prize donations
- If you’d like to help out please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Outreach: We have formalized a process to encourage community members or groups with Bowmanville ties to suggest outreach projects that might be meaningful to Bowmanville residents and the Bowmanville Community Organization. If you have a project idea you’d like the BCO to consider please fill out and submit this BCO Community Outreach Support Request. Recent examples of things we have supported are the BCO Amundsen Arts Thank You campaign and the Balmoral Nursing Home outreach.
BCO Phone line – Reach us at (773) 349-2268, that is (773) 349-BCO8!
Please consider a gift to our BCO GreenSpace (click to donate). We know safely accessible green space is important to our community. We’ve heard it from neighbors and have seen it in the energetic response to our GreenSpace project. Our BCO GreenSpace campaign is a major initiative of the BCO. Your support is important.
Block club resources Bowmanville has a “Know Your Neighbors” block program to keep our neighbors connected. Do you know who your block captain is? If not, your block needs one! Check out our resources for the Block Clubs.
|The BCO is on facebook click here to visit.|